1/19/2005

What Love Does
I Corinthians 13:12

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


My son gave me a gift last night. I'm not sure that he knows he did. You see, I am blessed with the Maxwell House son. Remember the coffee commercials where the son arrives unannounced for Christmas and his mom wakes up to coffee and him? That's my boy! He isn't perfect, but he has always looked out for the whole family. I think it started when he was four. My husband traveled a lot at that time, and he told Ron, our son, that he needed to be the man of the family and take care of me and his sister.

Anyway, obviously I am feeling a little insecure about this aging thing. I WANT to do it gracefully, but my mind rebels sometimes. Ron and I were having a discussion last night about some pictures on his website. He found a way to age both himself and his wife from their tender ages of twenty-six and twenty-four to age eighty. I asked him if he had done mine, and he had, but fortunately he loves me too much to send it to me. The gift was in what he said next.

He told me that he had a line drawing of me that was done through a website and he had kept it because it was beautiful. Then he said, "Mom, I know you didn't grow up as one of the beautiful people, but you are, and you need to know it. When I look at this picture, this is how I see you. And now I have to send you the picture."

Well he did. Send me the picture, I mean. And I was surprised, because the woman in the picture is really pretty. There was no space between my teeth. My nose didn't look too big, and the dents that have appeared around my mouth really weren't noticeable. The picture, what my son said, it all brought tears to my eyes, and it does again as I write this.

I know, of course, that we see the people we love differently than the mirror does. How wonderful it is, though, to be reminded that those dear to me do not always see the "poor reflection." They know me fully. and there is a pleasure in being fully known. A little glimpse of heaven. The promise of things to come.

So...thank you, Ron, for the springtime you have brought to me in January. And who knows? I may even post the picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home