8/16/2005

Words of Wisdom Heard in Senior English
Part of my job as a special education paraprofessional is to be in the classroom with special education students who had to be mainstreamed because of the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ACT. That is how I ended up spending fifth period in English 12.

The teacher chose to read Isak Dinesin's story "The Ring" out loud. Being a former English teacher, I thought her decision was wise. The story is steeped in imagery and not the kind of thing many kids today would read or understand on their own. I think understanding always comes more easily when someone reads to you.

The story really concerns the loss of innocence suffered by the main character, Lise. The kids were having problems with that, so the teacher explained. She can't be more than thirty, and this is what she said

"It's all about knowing yourself. To know yourself, you have to be willing to be alone. I've heard all the moaning about needing a boyfriend and a girlfriend, but you don't. I've heard that you are afraid, that you can't leave mommy and daddy, but you can. You will never really know yourself until you are willing to be alone."

I think those are wise words, although I doubt that seniors can actually understand them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home