8/08/2005

Working Vs. Staying at Home
Two years ago, when it looked like my husband was going to be transferred, he told me that if he was, he did not want me to work. Now, part of the reason I work is for my own sanity, so his comment surprised me. As time wore on, though, and he actually talked to me about work, I began to see his point. He has so much to think about at work that it reassures him to know I have things working smoothly on the home front (well, at least I do MOST of the time).

As we age, we seem to need support from one another even more than we used to. I thought about this a lot today since he gave me a list of things to do before he left for work at a little before 5AM. I was sort of surprised to think that the need for this kind of support would surpass the need for my financial contribution, but I guess that is the case.

Relationships in midlife sure do take a lot of twists and turns. The stresses and the tolerances we have for them are different. I am thankful that at this stage in my life I have the time to listen and observe. And learn. At least I hope I am learning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home