5/24/2005

Food for Thought
Yesterday I went to meet my husband in Wabash, and there was a big accident right by the intersection where we were to meet. Fortunately, it was NOT his big white truck, and I called him to make sure that when he ran into the backup, he would know it wasn't me. My heart has not beaten that hard since there was a fatality the night of Delta's homecoming and my teenage son was unaccounted for.

Someone who is bad news has made a reappearance in my daughter's life just as it seems she could be happy. Fortunately, God appears to have provided a way to lessen her temptation with another job.

I got a hug from one of my student's teachers, which is something that I did not expect, and it made me cry. She thanked me for a job well done because she said that usually you never see a special ed teacher when the student is only on consultation, and she told me she would miss me.

The kindergartener's last day is Thursday. He tells me every day how much he is going to miss me when school is out. I tell him that I will miss him too; only maybe my family has an idea of how much I will miss him. Thursday will be hard. If I end up crying, I hope I make it to the car first.

I never thought there was a job as invisible as that of substitute teacher, but being an itinerant teacher is darned close. I think I am ready to have a home. Wonder what God has picked out for me.

My husband got news this morning that his ADE (assistant division engineer) has been promoted to division engineer in WVA. The man is happy; his family is in PA. My husband's new ADE comes from Cincinnati. He has only been a track supervisor for a year. He is twenty-six. I wonder how he will get along with people who have 20+ years on the railroad.

I think I have resigned myself to the fact that the railroad probably won't transfer the people who have been around a long time since many of them are at the upper end of their pay ranges and could retire in the next few years. If they are going to pay for a move, they need to make it worth their while. I sure would like for them to pay for our move out of Marion, but not badly enough to see my husband take a high-stress job like a yard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home