2/04/2005

You Can Sure Tell It's Friday!
Since I am an itinerant teacher, I travel a lot. One of my school districts is more than ten miles away, so I was surprised but not disappointed to find out that it was closed due to this morning's fog. My children attended rural schools, and my husband and I always felt that it was better for them to make up their days than it was for the bus to take chances.

My husband's assistant called in to say it was too foggy for him to drive. I am less approving of this because of the many years my husband drove through unsafe conditions to get to work. If he was going to call in, it did not make sense for him to drive twenty five of the sixty five miles to his headquarters and then turn around.

The other school district is rural, but they did not have a delay. However, when I got there to work with my student, I found that he had been sent home with lice. I am paranoid enough that I did have the school nurse check my head. Evidently this little guy's family has been battling lice for a while now. His teacher was incensed that the mother had not told her, and I understand the teacher's concern. She does have fifteen other students. Having experience with lice, though, I felt I should inform his teacher that the mother might not have thought keeping the news to herself was irresponsible. Lice have been around a long time, but I don't know anyone who doesn't get embarrassed about having them.

At least this is not my husband's weekend to be on call. The sun is shining. The snow is melting. Maybe next Friday I won't think that it rolled around six days too late!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home