2/03/2005

Exodus 33
I read Exodus 33 during my quiet time this morning, and once again the whole story really touched me. I guess I should begin by saying that, although I have my quiet time in order to know God better, I am seldom able to keep my mind on what I am reading. I almost wish I did not know what stream of consciousness writing was because I know that is the state I am in when I have quiet time. The reading is two or three chapters, and I can't seem to keep my mind on what I am reading that long.

Anyway, contrast that with Moses. I have a lot of curiosity about Moses. He didn't really get to know God until he was old, but I see a lot of references where the King James, at least, refers to them as friends. That is the case with this reading. Moses comes down from the mountain with the commandments written by the finger of God, and he is hurt and dismayed to see what his people have done (that being created the golden calf). God tells Moses to take the people and leave, but that He (God) will not go with them because He might destroy them. He says this to Moses face-to-face the Bible says, the way a man would talk to his friend.The reason that gets to me is because that is the reason that I have a quiet time, to meet with God face-to-face. To know Him as a friend would. Most of the time I fall far short of that, and I am sure that He must be very disappointed with me.

Nevertheless, I think that the pursuing of God is something worth continuing. Look at what happened with Moses. I take liberties here with paraphrasing, but basically he says to God, "If You don't go with us, what's the point?" And God is quick to tell Moses that His (God's) presence will go with the people after all. Why? Because He is pleased with Moses and knows him by name.

Moses is bold enough after that to ask that God reveal His glory. Pretty bold statement from a man to his god, but not from a man to his Friend. And God honors the request, although He hides Moses in the cleft of a rock so that Moses sees only His back. No one, He says, can see His face and live. I am not a great Bible scholar, but it seems to me that Moses was the only person mentioned who was lucky enough to see God in this way.

I guess that is why I think that quiet time is worthwhile. I read my Bible because I want to know God better. And even though my contact with Him is imperfect at best, I believe that He honors the effort and that the Holy Spirit allows something, at least, to get through. That is why sometimes I recall bits of Scripture or Bible stories and suddenly see their relevance to my life.

Sort of like seeing God's hindquarters. But someday I will see His glory.

I Corinthians 13:12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror;then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home