1/27/2005

Bearing One Another's Burdens
Today I had to drop something off at one of the school districts I service for the co-op. I was going to go yesterday, but the timing wasn't right. I had tried to e-mail the director, but she couldn't open my attachment.

The secretary took my information and then told me that the director's mom is in the hospital. Dying. I guess she has been ill for a couple of weeks. The director is in her early thirties; her mom is in her early seventies. There has been no official diagnosis, but things don't look good.

I am not usually brave about my faith with people I don't know, and I hardly know this secretary, but I thanked her for telling me what was going on and told her I would pray for both the director and her mom. Her next words were, "As long as you are praying..."

This woman has a daughter who has MS and is bipolar. Her daughter has been hospitalized with psychotic delusions since December 2. Of course I told her I would pray. I have a a daughter.

How strange it is that I would go to that office today, that I would be brave today, that the secretary, who hardly knows me, would confide. There must have been a reason, and I WILL pray. One of the things I am continually reminded of is that prayer is often the only thing I can do.

The Bible says that we don't have because we don't ask. It says that where two or more of us are gathered in God's name, He is in our midst. I pray that the director's mom is ready to die, if that is what must be. That God will comfort the family in their loss. I pray for the secretary and her daughter, that the psychotic episodes will end and that they can be reunited. That medication will keep things under control. That the secretary's daughter AND the director's mom know how much they are loved.

I don't know the answers. I can just approach the One who does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home