2/01/2005

Now That I"m Almost Grown Up
What do I want to do with my life?

The people who love me have heard this too many times, so I choose to opine on my blog.

When I took the job as a teacher of the visually impaired, I did actually intend to take the courses to keep it. I was sort of disappointed that the state of Indiana did not offer the courses. Well, they did once, at Butler University. My director was very excited, and I did sign up. Too bad I was the only one in the state that did. Of course the classes were cancelled.

THEN Ball State started offering the courses, but I couldn't take them because I am not already certified in Special Ed. I can see their point. Sort of. However, very few people in their right minds would take an itinerant job for any length of time, so why not grandfather in the people who are already working the job and change the requirements for newcomers?

My third year in the job, the state said it was the last time they would issue me a limited license, and that was only because the school district couldn't find anyone else. I really expected the job to end at the end of last year, especially since the local schools are intent upon dissolving the special ed coop. The Friday before school started, therefore, I was in a little bit of a panic. It had been more than twenty years since school started without my having a job in one of them, and at that point I had not even been successful in getting my name on the sub list. Lo and behold....I got a phone call. Would I take the job one more year? I could work it as teacher of service with my current license, and the only certified VI teacher in this part of the state could be teacher of record. Not the best solution, but the only one available. It seems my job had been advertised since May with no takers. Of course not! In this state, at least, no one is being freshly certified in VI.

It is surprising to me how much more laid back I am on the job this year. I don't mean that I am shirking my responsibility. I know the job, certification or no, well enough to do it well, and I care about the kids, so I do my best. But I really find it annoying that things have to end just when I DO know the job! And since I don't want to go back to school to get certified in special ed, what am I going to do with all of the things I have learned? You have to admit that visual impairment involves some pretty specialized knowledge.

I do worry about my kids once I leave. I guess that is part of the dilemma for me. I care about kids, and I care about their educations. A lot of the time, though, I think our established systems of education are nothing more than a farce. And although it would provide income and keep me busy, I DON"T want to substitute.

I will be fifty in thirty one days. What shall I be when I grow up?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home