1/26/2005

Remicade
My health cost $5000 today. It will cost that again in eight weeks. This is for only one of the drugs that keeps me mobile, that enabled me to see my kneecaps again after two years and to keep up with my two-year-old grandson (well....keep up when it comes to a two-year old? Grandpa was there to help.)

My sister is a vegetarian, and she has commented to me that I put a lot of poisons in to my body. Although I was irritated by the commnent, she is right. Remicade contains mouse DNA. My daughter brings me books to read, and in one of her thrillers, the bad guys were using mouse DNA to mutate human beings. Putting these things in my body does not make me happy, but neither did the handicapped parking sticker and the prospect of a cane or walker before I turned fifty. I have the handicapped sticker, although I don't need it very often anymore, and the cane or walker was looking like a real possibility.

I know that drugs like Remicade carry a risk, and I find their expense daunting, but I would rather live the life I have now and take my chances on the risk than be crippled so early in my life.

Who knew twenty-five years ago that I would think fifty was young to be crippled?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home