1/24/2005

Ego--Me in the Way of Myself
I wish my ego wasn't getting in my way, but it is. I was so happy at first to be back at writing that I didn't care who read what I wrote. I was happy that I could actually organize my ideas. But then I included a sitemeter, and all of a sudden it bothers me that on the big, anonymous web, it does not appear that anyone is reading what I write.

This is exactly the reason that I quit writing before. I didn't think anyone would listen. I got the bug when I went back to school ten years ago, and I even wrote what I was told was some pretty good fiction, but beyond submitting to a WRITER'S DIGEST contest (once), and taking a weekend seminar, I didn't do anything with it.

I know enough about my favorite authors to know that their egos got in their way too. How does one combat this? My husband says I am a whole lot nicer when I write, and especially since I am looking at a change of employment, I want to have something worthwhile to do. How do I justify the use of my time with its practicality? I want to tell myself that it doesn't really matter as long as I am enjoying myself, but writing doesn't clean the house or make the afghan or send the cards...

ARGGGGGGH!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cap'n Grabby said...

OK, you are already getting more traffic than I got when I started. For the longest time, you were the only one who read my web log. If you have this web log for more than a year, then I could see complaining.

But there are more people out there. Just look at the map of people who visit my site. There are people from four continents!

How many times did Grisham submit before he got published? Rome was not built in a day, and all those other inspirational sayings.

Who said this site was meant to get read all of the time? I though you were doing this for you.

And, if you get nothing else from this, I got to learn a little bit more about my mother by reading what is on her mind. What more motivation do you need than that?

There are also countless ways to build traffic to your web log. If you would like to know more, please email me.

1/24/2005 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home