8/17/2005

Dodging the Bullet
OK, so this would be why I sometimes hate the railroad.

My husband called me as I was on my way out the door this morning to tell me he had been offered a job in Chicago, something which he did not want. His boss asked him what he would do if he were assigned, and he said he'd take the job. So we both spent the morning wondering if the issue was going to be forced.

There is nothing wrong with Chicago per se, you understand. Real estate costs more there. Maybe everything costs more there. Gangs there have taken railroad equipment hostage and demanded ransoms, which they received. It would be a big adjustment. Not to mention the fact that we are west of all the family we are close to now. We had hoped that if we moved, it would be east.

Anyway, the danger has passed. When my husband didn't jump at the job, they offered it to a guy who is working as an assistant up there, someone they will not have to pay to move. I think that makes good business sense.

I wonder, though, if we will have a chance to move east, which is what I really would like to do. The town in which we live is really economically depressed. Houses here take a year or more to sell. I would like for the company to move us before retirement, when we would have to deal with all of the hassle ourselves.

This is the second or third job my husband has been offered since we moved here, depending on the way you look at it. One was north of us and just outside Chicago, actually, a yard job. He was assigned there during the illness and subsequent death of the supervisor. He doesn't want a yard job, really, because people who work in yards tend to die of stress-related things. Then there was this job. And there was the job in Michigan, which I really wouldn't have minded, except that it would have capped his pay at less than he is making now and kept him inside, which I don't think he could have taken on a long-term basis.

I am thankful, though, that my husband's superiors notice his potential. I wonder if he realizes that, that they have confidence that he will do a job and do it well no matter what. I guess I am back to wanting the fruit that confidence will bear to go on our side of the tree, so to speak.

I don't know what the future holds for us, but for once, I am not a case of nerves about it. I am certain that God has it all laid out, and I am equally certain that He may not be done with us yet.

We shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home