3/11/2005

Family.org - CitizenLink - FNIF News - Christian Professor Loses Job
I find this disturbing. My grandparents gave me a copy of IN HIS STEPS when I was confirmed, and it IS a decidedly Christian book. Not too long ago, though, when I went back to college, I was asked to read books that went against MY religious beliefs, and I did it. I did complain when I was asked to role play, and my instructor very kindly gave me another assignment.

IN HIS STEPS didn't mean that much to me when my grandparents gave it to me, although I did read it then. It wasn't until much later in my life when I began to see the lessons it could teach me and actually processed the fact that what Jesus would do was often quite different than what the organized church did. I assume that Professor Mitchell was teaching about the religious revivals that took place during the late 1800s when he assigned the book. Why would its reading not be appropriate in that context?

When my husband went back to school, he went to a Catholic college and, having been raised Catholic, was surprised at the diversity in the religion department. The last religion course he took was taught by a Hindu. My husband wrote two papers for this man and received an A on both of them. The final assignment was a review of the course. Students were to tell what they had learned and whether or not it meant anything to them. My husband did so, and in the course of his writing he mentioned that although his teacher had said that Christianity was a very exclusive religion, he had found it to be INCLUSIVE. The paper he got back had angry comments all over it stating that my husband had not understood the course at all. An F had been written but scribbled out. I guess the teacher figured that he probably couldn't justify an F since he had given my husband two As, so he replaced the F with a D.

My point here is that people react so violently to Christianity, and I don't see why. Is it conviction? The old Adam, as Christians say? Or is it something else? Maybe in the search the human race seems to have for the right way to do things, they instinctively rebel when the right way isn't their way.










Family.org - CitizenLink - FNIF News - Christian Professor Loses Job

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home