3/05/2005

Marriage and Sharing
This morning, I took my husband with me to get a certificate of deposit in my own name. I have never done so before. I had a savings account before we were married, and I opened my own about six years ago, right before we moved from Ohio. Obviously, I closed that one, and I waited a while before opening my own here.

In my particular marriage, my money, his money and our money has never been a problem except for the fact that I always feel better if I buy my husband presents with money that I know I have earned. I wasn't threatened by not having my own account, but because we are getting older, we thought I should have some money I could access in an emergency.

Truth be told, my husband does the checkbook and makes out our taxes. My checks have been direct deposted for so long that I really don't see the money I make. And I don't care, except that I feel productive. The money is pooled for our mutual benefit. My husband says I would give all of ours away if he left me to my own devices. I don't know about that. I like being comfortable and knowing that the bills are paid. Beyond that, though, thinking about such things gives me a headache.


The reason for the CD is that it is short-term and more than triple the interest rate my savings account is earning. It really surprised me that my bank did not bat an eye when I withdrew what to me is a large sum of money. Nor did they ask for my ID; maybe I should worry about that. The bank where I opened the CD wanted two forms of ID. Since I don't carry my Social Security card, they wanted a credit card. My husband wasn't comfortable with that, though, so they ended up settling for my insurance card. That amuses me because before I got this job four years ago, I never had insurance in my own name. I guess I would have had to go home and find my Social Security card, but then again, on those other jobs I would not have made the money to invest.

In a strange turn of events, when we got home and checked the mail, our property tax bill was there, From 2003. (Sometimes Indiana is a little behind.) Anyway, although both my husband and I are listed as property owners, the tax bill was addressed to me.

I think I am responsible about finances, and I realize that I actually need to learn about them. I have begun to realize that not having ever set up housekeeping on my own sometimes leaves me at a disadvantage. Getting this CD is, I guess, my first step.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home