6/14/2005

Respect and Being a Good Wife
Proverbs 31:10,23 NIV

10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.


Sometimes being a respectful wife is hard for me, although I don't always recognize respect as being the problem right away. I know that I am supposed to respect my husband and I do. I really do. It is just that sometimes, as a supervisor and a Christian, he reacts in ways that I think are not respectful toward himself (if that makes any sense), and I get upset about it.

Take the assistant. Please. He is back to work after four weeks off for his back (which I know he couldn't help) and is up to his old tricks again. My husband is taking time off to spend with me after cataract surgery, and the assistant does not want to take weekend call. I don't know why. Most often he doesn't answer the phone, and most often he doesn't go out, so he could do what he does best....nothing....just as easily on the weekend as he does during the week.

However. As I was praying about this yesterday, the answer that I received was that I needed to let my husband do what he could live with in this situation and support him in his decision. When I see how tired he is because he does both his and the assistant's job, that is NOT my first inclination. I don't understand why the assistant still has a job except that somewhere in the world of manspeak, he hasn't messed up enough yet. Either that, or what my husband was told when he took this job is way too true. He was told that an officer of the company would never be fired; he would just be put where he could do the least harm. What better place to put him than with my husband, who will make sure the job is done and done right no matter what?

There are two men at work, the assistant being one of them, who from all outward appearances do their work the way their wives tell them to. This makes them the subject of ridicule among the other men. I don't ever want to make my husband an object of ridicule, so I know that I have to honor his decisions. I have made the mental decision, and I will do my best.

But why can't I slap his assistant too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home