6/06/2005

My Last Thoughts on My School System. Maybe.
I know. I complain and complain. Last Friday I got a phone call from the principal at the high school who wanted me to put it in writing that I was not going to accept the English position there. I did that. Can't blame the man. He just wants to get his staff lined up.

Today, I got a call from the director of human resources, with whom I had spoken before. I had told her that I did not intend to renew my license at this time. When I told her that, several months ago, she didn't mention anything about a letter of resignation, but boy did she want one today. I typed it. It was one line long.

This all wouldn't bother me so much except that I think it is a PR issue for the school. In actual fact, my job was eliminated and my transfer involuntary, but since I resigned, it can look like it is all my idea. Just like having all the clerical staff reapply; the public doesn't know that their time has been cut and so have their wages.

I know that economic times are tough, and I know that the school system is not the only one that suffers as a result. However, I would think it would be better to keep the secretaries that you have, the ones that know how to run things (and we all know that they DO run things) instead of spraying the dandelions.

Nobody who works for the school system will tell the public. And maybe they couldn't understand anyway. But a district that is more worried about top-end help (TWO assistant superintendent jobs at $95K a year were created) and less about the way actual schools are run does not, in my opinion, have the interests of the kids in this community at heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home