4/14/2005

Google News-Indiana Citizen Held Hostage in Iraq
Google News

Once again, the reality of war hits us. I cannot even imagine how Jeffrey Ake's family must feel. I guess I don't really understand the Arab way of waging war, but then again, maybe it makes sense. You can only have rules of war if people follow them, and obviously at least some of the Arabs don't care about our citizenry although they would be quick to attack us on world news if we caused harm to one of theirs.

Our son is on terminal leave from the Marines, where he served in the Commandant's Own Marine Drum and Bugle Corps. For performances, both the Commandant's Own and the President's Own wear red uniforms. When we went to watch our son on parade, one of the Marines explained this. (I just had not thought to ask our son.) He said that the red uniforms were supposed to label the drummers and buglers as noncombatants so that the enemy forces wouldn't shoot them. I often wondered how well that worked during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, and I was really nervous when I knew there was a chance for my son to go with his unit to perform in Iraq because I figured the red uniforms would just make them better targets.

My prayers go out the Jeffrey Ake's family for his safe return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home