4/12/2005

Religious Questions
My husband and I have been members of the Gideons for about four years now. My dad has been a member for forty. I never met a member of the Gideons that I didn't like and didn't think was sincere. That is why I didn't think twice when my husband invited a couple from our Bible class to come to the one-on-one rally.

My husband understood the purpose of the meeting to be for people to gather information about the Gideons and what they do, so things started badly when the speaker said the purpose of the meeting was to get people to join. Then there was a list of questions for people to answer. Our guest objected to two of them.

The first objection that he had was that Gideons exclude Catholics from membership. I am pretty sure this is because Catholics generally believe in salvation by works, not by faith, although I know some who do not. Having been raised Catholic, our friend objected to this. OK.

The second objection he had was that you had to check if you believe in the lake of fire for the unsaved. I think he believes in hell, but not for people who have never heard the word. The way I explain that to myself is that the Bible says even the heathen, which in this case I think means untaught, have a knowledge of God. They would have to, wouldn't they, since they are made in His image? I don't think that people who haven't heard the word of God are condemned to the lake of fire, but those who have heard and have rejected it. That is not the way our friend took it, though, so he didn't join.

Part of the reason my husband likes this man is because he is intelligent. Another reason, I think, is because he doesn't just talk to hear himself. He has deep spiritual issues, and what he says about spiritual issues is always deep. My husband is the same way.

Now my husband feels awkward.I see our friend's objections, but I hope they don't make him think any less of the work that the Gideons do or of my husband. My husband truly tries to live his life for God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home