3/16/2005

What Dreams May Come
I didn't really like that movie, WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, but I liked it better than the book. I didn't like it because I do not believe in reincarnation. I did like it because of the way it depicted hell. My idea of hell is separation from God, and I do think that often you put yourself there.

That is why it is so hard for me to listen to my daughter say, "Why bother praying, Mom? What good does it do? I never get anything that I pray for anyway."

When she was little, my daughter prayed a lot. And she believed that she got answers. Her dad and I watched her faith falter in middle school. We had high hopes that it would rebound, but she got discouraged. With Christians, I think, not with Christ, but sometimes we react the same.

It look as if school, something that she has looked forward to, may have slipped through her fingers at the moment for no logical reason that I can see. She has been through a lot in the past six months, in the past five years really, and she is devastate that this, too, seems to have slipped through her fingers. Like her marriage did. This is her last dream, I think. And I don't know what to tell her except that I love her, and I am sure that right now those are pretty empty words to her. It is hard to believe in a future when your present is a torture for you.

I want to tell her that I've been there and she will be OK, but I haven't been. Not in her own private hell, anyway. And I don't care what anyone says, a person's personal battles are theirs, and though other people may have experienced something similar, nobody has experienced THEIRS.

Instead of telling her that, though, I will pray. And I will pray that God opens her eyes to the times when He does take care of her. I am certain that knowledge is being blocked from her at the moment.

She quotes this verse to me, which I know in the King James but she sees in the NIV:

1 Corinthians 10:13
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Why, she asks, has God given her more than she can bear?

I don't know. But I will ask. And right now, my faith that He will answer will have to be enough for both of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home