2/24/2005

No Coincidence
It is no coincidence that today, when I did something I have never done before and went home after my first student so that I could avoid sharing germs, I met my prayer partner at the mall. It is no coincidence that, even though, I did not want to share germs, I needed to walk to loosen things up. It is no coincidence that the student who brought my prayer partner and me together, who has been doing well this school year, has just begun having problems.And needing prayer. My prayer partner and I have often played phone tag. But not this time.

It is no coincidence that, on the approach of my fiftieth birthday, I heard from a friend with whom I had lost contact. She is seventeen days older than I am. She sent a Christmas card and then an invitation to the birthday bash her mom gave her even though she didn't want it. Then she wrote to tell me how the party had gone and that she would keep in touch.

It is no coincidence that my husband received a call from his deceased brother's wife announcing the impending marriage of his nephew. His brother died in a tragic accident when this boy, Jay, was three. Twenty years ago. Through what we believed was some faulty counseling, his mom decided to break contact with his dad's side of the family. Until now.

It was no coincidence when my cousin, with whom I had not had contact in thirty years, found letters and pictures I had sent to her mom and wrote to me. We have been in touch for more than five years now, for which I am especially glad. Our moms were only three years apart in age, and we have a lot of childhood memories of the same situations.


What is it that makes people reach out at times of change in their lives? I don't claim to know, but I do know this much:

It is no coincidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home