3/03/2005

Dishwashers
My dishwasher is broken.

For the first twenty-one years of my married life, I did not have a dishwasher. My parents did not have one either, so most of the time I didn't feel the loss. Sure, I wanted one, but there were other things that I wanted more. For the most part, I washed every dish that got washed for twenty-one years. (My husband did help some, and I fought my kids about helping like all parents do. Fortunately, they are MUCH better at washing dishes now that they are living on their own.)

Anyway. The dishwasher is only two years old. It needs a new touchpad, and fortunately the touchpad has a two year warranty. Unfortunately, it came to our house two years ago on the seventh of January. It is a Whirlpool, so we thought we were buying quality. The serviceman said that Whirlpool is all that he owns. Then he told us that the part, minus his service call, would be $167. His service call was $39.95. That's a heck of a repair!

We bought the broken dishwasher at Lowe's, but when I got on the net to find out who serviced them, we got the name of a little appliance dealer. They are having a sale and can give us a new dishwasher comparable to the one we have for $319. That's sort of a no-brainer then; why have the old one fixed? The new one will be delivered this evening, and my husband will put it in when he gets around to it. He means well. He just works a lot of hours.

I asked the advice of a serviceman before, years ago, about a refrigerator. His advice was sound, and we have not purchased a side-by-side refrigerator since. This serviceman said that consumers were way ahead when dishwashers and other appliances had pushbuttons and dials, but you know progress! Maybe computers do a lot of things better, but they sure do cost a lot! He said, too, that this is a common repair on a dishwasher. I hope we don't find that out again soon, or that if we do, it happens while the machine is still on warranty.

The funny thing is, though, it is just my husband and me here, so I don't even use the dishwasher all that often. The family that lived here before us had kids, and their old machine lasted three years after we moved in. You would think, wouldn't you, that the more use it got....?

Oh, well. I like having the convenience of a dishwasher too much to do without one. I am just glad that, at this point, it is a luxury we can afford.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home