7/11/2005

Company
My husband and I were blessed with company this weekend.

Since we moved, we have done a lot of traveling. For us, road trips are enjoyable. Even at $2.39 a gallon for gas. Even so, it was nice not to be the one who drove.

We are thankful that we have relationships with our son and his wife and our daughter. One of the saddest things I have done is talk to other parents of children the age of ours and hear that their children don't call or don't write unless they want something. These parents, sadly, are relieved when they do NOT hear from their children. Ron and I tried hard to treat our children as people, even when they were small. We know it is hard for them to balance their family and work commitments and visit us.

One of the blessings of their visits is, of course the grandchildren. We took our own road trip yesterday, and at almost every rest stop we saw grandparents, not parents, with grandchildren. We have discussed this a lot, and we think we see this because grandparents actually have the time to spend with their grandchildren. Young people today are busy surviving.

The house seems empty when everyone leaves, and it often takes me a while to pick up all the toys and wash the fingerprints off the windows. This is not because I am lazy, although housework is certainly not my favorite thing to do. It is because the memory of the ones I love is sweet, and I want it to last as long as it can.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are always welcome to come over here and pick up the toys and clean the windows!

7/11/2005 5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home