6/28/2005

On Self-Renovation and Daughters
I have had a lot of firsts the past few weeks. On Friday, June 10th, my right eye saw 20/20 for the first time probably ever. The next week, my left eye was only a little behind. There went the glasses that had been a part of my face for forty-four years! One of the first things I noticed, though, was that maybe a little cover-up (something I have never used, being a no make-up semi-hippie kind of person) would be in order. The blue under my eyes wasn't nearly as noticeable with my glasses.

The next thing I noticed was that pretty much everybody but me and one other much-older lady that I saw had nicely sculpted eyebrows. I had mine plucked, once, many moons ago, but I didn't think they looked too bad. Beside, behind the glasses they didn't really show, I didn't think, and I was waaaaaaaay too nearsighted to do anything about it anyway.

My daughter is visiting, and she knows that I have been noticing things about my face that I have never noticed before. On Sunday, we bought eye-shadow. This morning, she showed me how to put it on. She thinks I am going to use mascara too, but I don't know. You should have seen how my eyelids shook when I put on the shadow.

Then she decided that I should have my eyebrows waxed. She had to push me in the chair, and they are still red, but I think they look some better. They aren't any sorer than I remember the plucking being, and the whole process was a lot quicker.

Tomorrow, she bought me a manicure and a pedicure. We are going at 1:30. This is also something that I have never done before. I am thankful for her support. These are things that I would never have tried on my own, and although I realize most mothers teach their daughters about how such things work, that is just not the way it worked for us.

New bathroom accessories. New eyes. New eyebrows. Soon, I hope, a new job.

The second half of my life certainly is proving to be an adventure!

1 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

That is darling. I, too, help my mom with makeup and eyebrows, just as she used to help me.

6/28/2005 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home