6/25/2005

Vacation Bible School
I was "bag lady" at Vacation Bible School this week. It would take too long to explain to you what that is except that it involves paper bags with handles and an efficient means of getting information and crafts home.

Our count was 130+ on Monday and 140+ the rest of the week. The ages of the children were four to eleven. I always like doing this job even though I don't work directly with the kids because many of them are hungry for just one smile, and sometimes I am the one who is lucky enough to deliver it.

Our church spends a lot of money on VBS T-shirts, which is something I had not encountered in Ohio. All of the staff wear them as a means of identification; the kids wear them off and on. You might think that this is not a witness, just a sort of advertising for the church, but that is not what I think. Here's why. I have been out in the community when a small child will tell me that he knows me. I look at the child, and most of the time I do not remember him. But what does he say? "You put what I made in a bag." Oh, I think. Bible School. The child connected me with the location. Did my behavior toward him help connect him to the message?

Matthew 18:10 says you should "see that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven." I think of this when I am working at Bible School. That one smile might be the one that wins a little one over.

If you did't have time to work in VBS as a mom, do it as a grandma. For, as Matthew goes on to say in Chapter 18:14:

"Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home