3/24/2005

Being Still
I got a haircut today.

Now, if you are male, you may not think that anything special goes on when you get a haircut. But for me, and for a lot of females I know, there is a bonding that goes on when someone else works on your hair, especially someone that you like. And I like my hairstylist. Her name is Donna, and she is about a month younger than I am, a mom of two and grandma of one. We have a lot to talk about.

Today, we talked about aging and doing it gracefully. Donna is sort of worried about the whole thing, but she thinks maybe she should have a big party since neither of her parents made it to fifty. I thought that was a fine idea.

Then we talked about our kids, and I told her I was ready to kill my daughter. Not really, but you know how you say those things. She reminded me that I LIKE being a grandma and my daughter has not yet contributed to the grandchild pool. Better to wait. By then she might not frustrate me so much.

We moved on to the grandchildren, and I told her that mine are now living about eight hours closer than they used to and I am jealous as all get out of the grandmas that live in that city with them. Donna could understand that. I told her, though, that I had given the situation over to God, and I really have. I prayed and prayed and prayed that my husband and I could live close enough that I could help with those babies, but....we don't. So God must have a better idea, and I really do trust Him to come through there. I have trusted God for big things in my life before, and they turned out well. Usually. Or at least I understood why they didn't.

The thing that Donna and I talked about next were the things we haven't turned over to God yet. Like our jobs. Donna's situation in that respect is more difficult than mine, I think, because she is divorced. We both look at our jobs as a means of maintaining our independence, though. I don't know where she is with that but, as anyone who reads my blog can tell, I value my independence and don't like things like RA that threaten it.

Donna laughed, at us really, because we aren't done worrying about the jobs yet. She said sometimes she has a mental picture of God calling the angels over to watch and saying, "Hey guys! Look what happens when I poke her here. Isn't it hilarious?" Now, I do think that God has a sense of humor, but I don't think He is cruel. I think of him as more of the parent, and I imagine His shaking His head at whatever it is that I am currently worrying about. I imagine His talking to whomever it is He talks to saying," That Becky! We have been over this three hundred times already. I keep saving her and saving her and saving her. When will she learn that I am faithful?"

Sad truth is, I KNOW God is faithful. And I know that I am not the CEO of the universe, as an advertisement on Christian radio reminds me. But the job thing is big to me. And my school district is laying off fifty-one people. And my job has never been real secure anyway. And I have thought He was getting me ready for something else. But I'm not ready to quit worrying about this yet.

But I really want to be.

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home